Atlanta United played its third preseason match Sunday against LAFC at Banc of California Stadium. First-half goals from Gonzalo “Pity” Martínez and Julian Gressel gave Atlanta a 2-0 lead at the break, however, two second-half goals from Adrien Perez and Carlos Vela leveled the match at 2-2.
Atlanta United 2, LAFC 2
Los Angeles, California
Banc of California Stadium
ATL – Gonzalo Martínez 18’
ATL –Julian Gressel (Josef Martinez) 29’
LA– Adrien Perez 58’
LA– Carlos Vela 82’
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan; George Bello, Leandro González Pirez, Miles Robinson, Michael Parkhurst, Julian Gressel, Jeff Larentowicz, Eric Remedi (Anderson Asiedu 70’), Ezequiel Barco, Gonzalo Martínez (Tito Villalba 62’), Josef Martinez (Romario Williams 75’)
LAFC STARTING LINEUP
Tyler Miller; Jordan Harvey (Amadou Dia), Eddie Segura (Lamar Batista 70’), Walker Zimmerman (Dejan Jakovic 46’), Steven Beitashour (Shaft Brewer Jr 46’), Eduard Atuesta (Mark-Anthony Kaye 46’), Andre Horta (Alejandro Guido), Lee Nguyen (Peter Lee Vassell 62’), Christian Ramirez (Adrien Perez 46’), Carlos Vela, Latif Blessing
- Gonzalo Martínez scored from a free kick in the 18th minute for the game’s opening goal after Ezequiel Barco won a free kick from about 22 yards out. G. Martínez took the free kick and struck a left-footed shot over the wall and past a diving Tyler Miller. G. Martínez has scored two goals and added two assists through three preseason matches.
- Julian Gressel doubled Atlanta’s lead in the 29th minute. Josef Martinez made a run down the right side of the box and received the ball near the end line before cutting it back to Gressel, who placed a low shot into the far corner of the net.
- Josef Martinez has recorded six goals and three assists this preseason.
- Second-half substitute Adrien Perez scored for LAFC in the 58th minute, rounding Brad Guzan and a chasing Miles Robinson to tap the ball into an open net.
- Carlos Vela tied the match in the 82nd minute, blasting a left-footed shot from the left side of the area inside the far post.
- Brad Guzan saved a Carlos Vela shot in the closing minutes to keep the match level at 2-2.
Atlanta United will play its final preseason friendly on Wednesday at 3 p.m. EST against LA Galaxy.