The National Basketball Association (NBA) and the National Basketball Players Association (NBPA) today named Econet Global Limited, Ford Motor Company of Southern Africa, NIKE Inc., South African Airways (SAA), SuperSport, and 947 as partners for NBA Africa Game 2015. The first NBA game in Africa will take place Aug. 1 at Ellis Park Arena in Johannesburg, South Africa.
The game will feature a Team Africa vs. Team World format and will be played in support of Boys & Girls Clubs of South Africa, SOS Children’s Villages Association of South Africa and the Nelson Mandela Foundation. The game will air live in Africa on SuperSport.
Roster of Official NBA Africa Game 2015 Partners:
- Econet Global Limited – Official Mobile and Telecommunications Partner of NBA Africa Game 2015; co-branded NBA Africa Game marketing campaign across Africa
- Ford Motor Company of Southern Africa – Official Automotive Partner of NBA Africa Game 2015; presenting Partner of NBA Africa Game 2015 Fan Zone (more details on the Fan Zone will be announced soon); will host an NBA Cares clinic
- NIKE Inc. – Official Marketing Partner of NBA Africa Game 2015; partner of Basketball without Borders Africa 2015; NBA Cares partner for a new court at the Boys & Girls Club in Protea Glen, Johannesburg
- South African Airways – Official Airline Partner of NBA Africa Game 2015 transporting Team Africa and Team World players to South Africa; partner of Basketball without Borders Africa 2015
- SuperSport – Official NBA Broadcast Partner since 2013; SuperSport will broadcast the game live starting at 3:00 p.m. local time across Sub-Saharan Africa
- 947 – Official Radio Partner of NBA Africa Game 2015
[Watch the welcome VIDEO]
Team Africa, composed of players from Africa and second-generation African players, will feature team captain and two-time NBA All-Star Luol Deng (Miami Heat; born in South Sudan), Serge Ibaka (Oklahoma City Thunder; Congo) and Gorgui Dieng (Minnesota Timberwolves; Senegal).
Team World, comprised of players from the rest of the world, will feature team captain and eight-time NBA All-Star Chris Paul (Los Angeles Clippers; U.S.), Bradley Beal (Washington Wizards; U.S.) and Kenneth Faried (Denver Nuggets; U.S.).
Full Team Africa and Team World rosters will be announced soon.
The NBA has a long history in Africa with more than 35 players from the continent featured on NBA rosters since Hakeem Olajuwon was drafted in 1984. Through NBA Cares, 58 places to live, learn or play have been created in Africa, and Basketball without Borders Africa has been held 12 times on the continent. The league opened an African headquarters in Johannesburg, South Africa, in 2010 and recently launched Jr. NBA leagues in Mozambique and Uganda as part of comprehensive grassroots programs across the continent.
For more information, fans can visit nba.com/africa; Facebook.com/Africa and Twitter @NBA_Africa. Fans can also download NBA Game Time, the official app of the NBA for news and updates, scores, stats, schedules, videos and more. NBA games, highlights and special programming are available on SuperSport.