Atlanta United continued its 2019 preseason schedule with two scrimmages against California State Fullerton and Club Tijuana on the campus of California State University Fullerton. Each match consisted of two sessions of 40 minutes each.
- Josef Martinez opened the scoring in the 6′ minute. After winning the ball back in Tijuana’s half, Ezequiel Barco found Martinez sprinting towards the penalty spot, who placed his first touch past Tijuana goalkeeper Luis Michel.
- Martinez added his second goal in the 16′ minute. Michel charged outside the box to head a clearance that fell to Martinez. After passing the ball to Villalba, Martinez received the ball again and chipped a shot over Michel before he was back in goal.
- Four minutes later, Villalba played Martinez ahead down the right side of the box. Martinez cut the ball back and found Villalba, who had continued his run to the center of the area, where he blasted a low shot past Michel.
- Tijuana scored in the 27′ minute when Erick Torres got behind Atlanta’s back line and finished a cross from Oswaldo Tona.
- Josef Martinez completed his hat trick early in the second half. Brek Shea crossed the ball to Gonzalo Martinez in the center of the box who flicked the ball on to a wide-open J. Martinez at the back post.
- In the 52′ minute, Ezequiel Barco finished a clever give-and-go with Josef Martinez for Atlanta’s fifth goal. Barco played Martinez on goal who squared the ball to an open Barco for a tap-in.
- Josef Martinez added his fourth goal in the 68′ minute, finishing free kick whipped in by Gonzalo Martinez on the left side after Barco was fouled.
Atlanta United 6, Tijuana 1
ATL – Josef Martinez (Ezequiel Barco) 6’
ATL – Josef Martinez (Tito Villalba) 16’
ATL– Tito Villalba (Josef Martinez) 20’
TIJ– Erick Torres (Oswaldo Tona) 27’
ATL– Josef Martinez (Gonzalo Martínez) 43’
ATL– Ezequiel Barco (Josef Martinez) 52’
ATL– Josef Martinez (Gonzalo Martínez) 68’
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING XI
Brad Guzan (Alec Kann); Brek Shea, Leandro González Pirez, Michael Parkhurst, Miles Robinson, Julian Gressel, Jeff Larentowicz, Eric Remedi, Ezequiel Barco, Tito Villalba (Gonzalo Martínez), Josef Martinez
TIJUANA STARTING XI
Luis Michel; Osciel de la Cruz, Angel Uribe, Noé Topete (Oscar Cisneros), Alejandro Díaz (Cesar Castillo); Eduardo Espinoza, Luis Gamiz, Ricardo Angulo, Oswaldo Tona (Jared Romero), Luis Ramos (Miguel Osuna); Erick Torres (Samuel Lopez).
Atlanta United 1, Cal State Fullerton 0
ATL – Romario Williams (Andrew Carleton) 42’
- Romario Williams scored the game’s only goal early in the second half, receiving a pass from Andrew Carleton inside the box and smashing a right-footed shot inside the far post.
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING XI
Brendan Moore; George Bello (Dion Pereira), Mikey Ambrose, Kendall Edwards, Jon Gallagher, Gordon Wild, Darlington Nagbe (Anderson Asiedu), Amir Bashti, Andrew Carleton, Romario Williams, Brandon Vazquez (Tito Villalba)
CAL STATE FULLERTON STARTING XI
Paul-Andre Guerin; Jose Delgado, Irving Arvizu, (Edward Salazar), Clayton Thor, Sam Molz, Paul Iniguez, (Charly Anguiano), Alex Juarez, Christian Pinzon, Rei Dorwar; Tyler Marquez, Mario Gomez (Jesse Soleto).