We get to enjoy this every year: 31 days of Jazz greatness eventually leading to the ATL Jazz Fest during Memorial Day Weekend. Take a look at all of these amazing events coming up!
During 31 Days of Jazz there will be concerts and events every day in May. Here is just a sampling:
Friday, May 1 is the festival kickoff party with jazz hip hop trio BADBADNOTGOOD at the Westside Cultural Arts Center.
MARTA Mondays are back! Last year’s partnership was a huge success and patrons were surprised and delighted with live jazz concerts in stations during their commutes. Jazz performances will be presented from 3-5 pm as follows:
- May 4 with music by HC3 at College Park Station
- May 11 with music by Brandon Boone Quartet and Ede Wright Trio at Lindbergh Station
- May 18 with music by Dan Barazu and Dave Ellington’s Organ Trio at Midtown Station
The poplar Neighborhood Jazz Concerts series returns, presented by the Atlanta City Council. Here’s this year’s schedule:
- May 2 with music by Gwen Hughes, Beverly “Guitar” Watkins and Mary Raindrop from 4-8 pm, presented by Councilmember Moore in Grove Park
- May 3 with music by the RJK All Star Jazz Band, The Reach Complex, and the Mar-Tans from 4-8 pm, presented by Councilmember Wan in John Howell Park
- May 9 there will be day of activities featuring a BBQ competition, street market and Kids Zone from 10 am – 9 pm, hosted by Councilmember Smith in Grant Park
- May 10 from 4-8 pm, presented by Councilmember Hall in Historic Fourth Ward Park
- May 16 there will be a celebration including the Atlanta Beltline Jamboree from 2-6 pm, then performances by Melvin Jones and Theresa Hightower from 6-8 pm, presented by Councilmember Young in Washington Park
- May 17 from 4-8 pm, hosted by Councilmember Sheperd at Atlanta Metropolitan State College
- May 19 there will be a special free concert with Freddy Cole presented by Councilmember Bottoms at 7:30 pm at the Fulton County Southwest Arts Center.
May 2 is the 22nd Jazz Under the Stars featuring saxophonist and flutist Najee and jazz vocalist Kathleen Bertrand at Clark Atlanta University.
May 6 is the Red Carpet Reveal of the new live jazz, R&B and blues review, St. James Live.
May 7 is a concert by Israeli funk, soul, jazz singer Ester Rada at The Breman Museum.
May 8 you can hear the Mar-Tans at Martinis & IMAX at Fernbank Museum of Natural History.
May 10 Jamal Ahmad will host his popular show, the S.O.U.L. of Jazz, live at The Music Room.
May 13 you can hear the Tree-O of Love from 9 pm- Midnight at Churchill Grounds.
May 15 the Friday Jazz series will celebrate the Atlanta Jazz Festival with a performance by singer Alex Lattimore at the High Museum of Art.
May 17 is Sunday Jazz at the Atlanta Ballet’s MAYhem featuring the Brandon Boone Trio at the Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre. (Save 25% on tickets with promo code JAZZ)
May 21 is the new Atlanta Jazz Festival Crawl on Edgewood. It will include jazz on the Streetcar, free admission and specials at clubs including The Edgewood Speakeasy, The Music Room, Noni’s and The Sound Table, street party and more on Edgewood Avenue.
May 22-24 the Atlanta Jazz Festival will present performances by Thundercat, Alfredo Rodriguez Trio, Marcus Strickland, Derrick Hodge, Dida, Tony Hightower, Fernanda Noronha, Emrah Kotan, Strings from Haiti, Arturo O’Farrill, Nettwork Trio, Diane Schuur, Pharoah Sanders, and many more in Piedmont Park.
May 22 the festival will present a Late Night Concert featuring Russell Gunn’s Blackhawk Revisited: A Tribute to Miles Davis from 11 pm – 2 am at the Park Tavern.
May 23 the festival will host a Late Night Jam with Lil’ John Roberts and his All-Star Jam Band from 11 pm – 2 pm at the Park Tavern.
May 27 there will be music by jazz drummer Nico Limbo at the Elliott Street Pub.
May 28 is “Singers Night Out” hosted by Terence Harper from 9 pm – Midnight at Churchill Grounds.
May 30 is Jazz Under the Stars at the City of Jonesboro Jazz Festival from 6-10 pm on the lawn of the Jonesboro Historical Courthouse.
Did you have a look at all of that awesomeness? And that’s not even everything! More events will be added so be sure to check the website often 31 Days of Jazz
What’s an excursion without a passport? The Atlanta Jazz Festival has created a special PASSPORT PROGRAM as a way of rewarding people who support jazz in the city. After visiting eight participating venues, you will be entered into a drawing to win a Festival Prize Pack including two official festival t-shirts, framed poster, and a two-night stay at Loews Atlanta Hotel during Memorial Day Weekend. For all the details, visit: http://atlantafestivals.com/events/31-days-of-jazz/.