Atlanta United lost to New England Revolution 2-1 Saturday night at Gillette Stadium. Marcelino Moreno scored his first goal of the season, but a second half penalty awarded to New England after video review was ultimately the difference maker.

New England took the lead in the 19th minute after stringing a few passes together from a corner kick. Eventually, Carles Gil chipped a ball into the center of the box for Brandon Bye, who’s run from the midfield enabled him to find space and casually re-direct a header to the far post to beat Brad Guzan.

The Revolution controlled play for most of the first half, but Atlanta equalized from the penalty spot in the 43rd minute. Moreno took Bye on along the left wing and was eventually dragged down near the end line. The Argentine midfielder stepped up and calmly slotted past Matt Turner to equalize before halftime.

We know it’s something that we are missing. It’s not a secret that the team needs to score more goals. With Gabriel Heinze as our coach, we are working on it every week. Working on attacking through the wings and the center all week. It’s something we need to continue to work and carry over to the games. We’ve been creating chances, but unfortunately haven’t been able to finish. We are working on it constantly though.”

Atlanta United’s Erick “Cubo” Torres on scoring one goal in most matches so far this season.

Atlanta improved its play after halftime but was undone by a video review decision that awarded New England a penalty. Emerson Hyndman fouled Tajon Buchanan on the edge of the box, but after review, the foul was deemed to be on the line and a penalty was given. Gil stepped to the spot and converted to give New England a 2-1 lead.

In the final half hour, Atlanta continued to push forward, including forcing a pair of saves from Turner. However, Ezequiel Barco was forced off the field in the 79th minute with an injury, and with Atlanta out of substitutes, the team was forced to play with 10 men for the final stretch of the match.

Atlanta (1-1-1, 4 points) returns to action Tuesday to take on Philadelphia Union at Subaru Park in the Second Leg of its 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Quarterfinals match-up (8:00 p.m. ET, FS1/TUDN). They’ll return to MLS play Sunday, May 9 at Inter Miami CF (1:00 p.m., ABC, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game).

-Jon J.

Photo: Hakim Wright

Leave a Reply