Atlanta United returns to action Wednesday when it hosts Memphis 901 FC at Fifth Third Bank Stadium in the Third Round of the 2023 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. The match is set to kick off at 7:30 p.m. EST and will be streamed on Bleacher Report Football’s YouTube and the B/R App, while fans can also tune in to the radio call on 92.9 The Game.
- The U.S. Open Cup is a knockout competition that features professional and amateur clubs from around the country. The Third Round marks the entrance of 18 Major League Soccer teams from American professional soccer’s top-tier. The rest of the 48 competitors either hail from lower pro leagues: USL Championship (Division II), USL League One and NISA (both Division III), or in the case of Tulsa Athletic (USASA/NPSL/Okla.) and Chicago House AC (USASA/MWPL/Ill.), the all-amateur Open Division.
- Atlanta owns an all-time U.S. Open Cup record of 8-3-0 and won the competition in 2019.
- Atlanta will look to continue its unbeaten run at Fifth Third Bank Stadium where the team is 8-0-0 all-time in all competitions and 5-0-0 in U.S. Open Cup play.
- Atlanta is coming off a 2-1 win against Chicago Fire FC on Sunday in MLS play as the team scored the latest goal in club history in the 99th minute to earn three points.
- Giorgos Giakoumakis has scored in each of his first five MLS starts, becoming just the second player in MLS history to do so, joining Taylor Twellman.
- Memphis currently sits in eighth place in the USL Championship Eastern Conference standings (1-2-2, 5 points) and is coming off a 3-0 win and first clean sheet of the year at Rio Grande Valley FC. Memphis is managed by former Atlanta United 2 head coach and Atlanta United interim head coach Stephen Glass, and the team features three players with ties to Atlanta United: Phillip Goodrum, Laurent Kissiedou, and Luiz Fernando.
Wednesday, April 26 | Fifth Third Bank Stadium, Kennesaw, Georgia | 7:30 p.m. (EST)
Atlanta United (5-1-3, 18 points) vs. Memphis 901 FC (1-2-2, 5 points)
WATCH | B/R Youtube
English Radio | 92.9 The Game