With just 15 seconds left in the game, Renee Montgomery’s driving layup gave the Dream the go-ahead point to win a close 90-87 decision over New York Friday night at the Westchester County Center.
The Atlanta Dream’s (6-22) season-high-tying 90 points helped the team snap a 12-game losing streak dating back to mid-July. All five starters – including first-time starter Monique Billings – scored in double-digits for the first time this season. The team’s balanced effort Friday night was led by Jessica Breland’s 12 rebounds and 11 points – her 20th career double-double.
The Liberty led by as many as 14 points in the first half, but a 13-4 run from Atlanta cut their deficit to just five points at halftime. New York controlled the beginning of the third frame, but Atlanta pulled into the lead with two minutes left in the third from a step back jump shot from Brittney Sykes. A 14-0 run helped Atlanta lead by as many as 11 points to lead the game heading into the fourth.
New York tied up the game with a minute and 30 seconds left and pulled back into the lead with a minute to go off two free throws from Tina Charles. Atlanta battled back to lead 88-87 with 15 seconds left, and two free throws from Tiffany Hayes sealed the game for the Dream.
- Tiffany Hayes led the team in scoring for the 10th time this season, more than any other player on the team.
- Atlanta snaps a 12-game losing streak and an eight-game losing streak on the road
- This was Monique Billings’ first career start.
- All five starters scored in double-digits for the first time this season.
- Five of Atlanta’s six wins this season have come when the team is shooting between 40-50 percent.
Atlanta heads to Dallas to face the Wings Sunday, August 25 at 4:00 p.m. ET.
Photo: Hakim Wright